Be a Supporter!

Main News Movies Games Art Favorites Reviews Stats 8 Fans

348 audio Reviews with Responses

~SW~ Weightless ~SW~ Weightless

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars July 11, 2012

Really nicely done track right here. Some minor things I didn't like, but all in all I really enjoyed it. Love the sound of the synths you used. There seems to be some clipping at certain points in the track, mixing could do a bit more work.I really liked the way you used your bass, am impressed that you managed to do all this while on a plane. The song is well varied and flows quite nicely. At certain points the melody made the song sound like video game music from a JRPG, other times it sounded like a classically inspired electronica track. Really enjoyed that.

I'm not sure I'd keep the drums. The snare sample wasn't very good, IMO, and the hi-hat sample also sounded a bit too much computerized to me.

SkyeWintrest responds:

Hello! Thanks! :D

"Love the sound of the synths you used."
Thanks - this was one of the songs I've made due to finding a synth rather than having an idea from another place.

"There seems to be some clipping at certain points in the track, mixing could do a bit more work."
Yerp. I could have done more work on the mixing. Holy crap though, it is HARD to mix on a plane.

"I really liked the way you used your bass"
Love using the bass that way. :P After all, it's a part of the song as much as anything else, shouldn't it be part of the tune too?

"The song is well varied and flows quite nicely."
Yep. 's one of the things I work hardest on.

"I'm not sure I'd keep the drums."
Aw, really? :<

"The snare sample wasn't very good, IMO"
Agreed.

"the hi-hat sample also sounded a bit too much computerized to me."
Oh, really? That's the first I've heard about it. However, I would have to agree on that part, though I'd also say that all of the drums are extremely computer-y, they're from the DSK DrumZ - MachineZ, which are really computerized drums.

Thanks again for the review, Soap! :D

~SW~ What Life In Ruin ~SW~ What Life In Ruin

Rated 4 / 5 stars July 11, 2012

Not bad. I'm not entirely sure what kind of game this could fit with, I'd think some sort of puzzle game. It had a very relaxed feel to it, and it flows nicely. I guess the first half of it or so could fit during a more relaxed scene in, say, a futuristic action game. As the lighter synths come in, it loses that feel a bit. I don't know what it is.

It loops very nicely, had it running in the back for a bit and didn't even notice it looping. Nicely done. A bit short, maybe, but then again, it is a loop.

SkyeWintrest responds:

Hey there, Soap! Thanks! :D

A puzzle game... hm. Possibly.

"I don't know what it is."
...well, that makes two of us! :D

"It loops very nicely, had it running in the back for a bit and didn't even notice it looping."
And here I thought it was one of my worse loops... well, cool!

Thanks again!

Trinity Trinity

Rated 5 / 5 stars July 10, 2012

You weren't kidding about this track being a bit longer.

Step responds:

Wow man, thanks so much for reviewing this track too! I owe you.

"You weren't kidding about this track being a bit longer."

No. No I wasn't :P.

"I've never played Monster Hunter Tri, so this is an all new experience to me. I don't think it matters much though, because I can't see how this would be a disppointment to everyone. It really is the kind of tracks that pretty much gives me constant chills down the spine."

Awesome, thanks! By the way if you've got a Wii I definitely recommend Tri. Easily one of the best Wii games out there.

"The introduction is amazing, and the first set of chills comes as soon as the build-up reaches its peak. It just sounds so majestic. Every single one of your samples sound absolutely amazing."

They're not the best out there, but they're pretty high-end! I guess I've got to get something for spending nearly 600 EUR on them, right?

Glad you liked the intro. Majestic is exactly what I was going for! And a bit of epic too, needless to say...

"Your transitions are smooth and perfect, and there's a nice, continuous story being told all throughout."

Well, at least a few people like the transitions. I think they work but they're not as smooth as I would've liked them to be. If you listen to the track quite a few times you get used to the transitions and they end up sounding alright, but even then the flow isn't as smooth as it'd be in a normal song.

"The dynamics of the track are amazing. I'm not sure if that's the appropriate term in English, but I'm talking about your... uh... volume control? In lack of a better wording. You really got that down to near perfection. The song can catch you off guard at times, but I can't decide whether this is a good thing or not, it really flows nicely with the track overall."

Dynamics don't necessarily mean volume control. I think dynamics of a song refers to the variety of moods/intensities, loudness, etc... Volume control is probably mastering :P. But yeah I get what you mean. I'm glad you liked it!

"This is amazing, I get equally surprised every time I hear some of your tracks. They're just so well composed and produced that it's hard to believe it's a one-man project."

Well, I wouldn't say it is. If it wasn't for all the support and feedback I got from other people this would've never existed :P.

Thanks again for the review! I appreciate it!

[J] - Hidden History 2 [J] - Hidden History 2

Rated 2.5 / 5 stars July 10, 2012

It's a very repetitive track, but it's not all that bad. The synths used are all right, but you should definitely try to vary it up a bit. There is no proper drop, and you need to zone in on what kind of dubstep you want to make, as dubstep can be so many things. Beats could be more varied. The sound quality is quite good, nothing too bad at all, so good job on that. I don't like the fade-out at the end, but as this is a WIP, I guess that will be changed.

Jumper responds:

Yeah it is repetitive because I need a proper bass sound for the drop that is not finished yet because of that xD I'm still working on it though, and as soon as I get Massive, I finish it and post the new version. I also added some pads and stuff but this demo is pretty much to show the beat and synths.

But thanks a lot for that complete review, Soap! I'll keep that in mind for the upcoming changes. :D

To the Death To the Death

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars July 10, 2012

First off, it's been a long while since I reviewed anything on NG, so bear with me if I'm a bit rusty.

I'd love to hear this a bit longer. I get that it's just supposed to be an intro, would love to hear what other music would accompany this. Very nicely suits the era of the samurai, with the flutes and somewhat majestic feel. Love your drums as well, sounds like war is coming. Great snare!

Step responds:

Hey man, haven't seen you in ages!

I'm glad you liked it. You know I didn't mention it in the Author's Comments but a samurai feel is *exactly* what I was going for so I'm really glad you mentioned that.

Yeah I know this is really short but as you said this is just a little intro. My other song Trinity is a LOT longer, I promise :P.

Thanks a lot for reviewing!

Shooter (demo) Shooter (demo)

Rated 2.5 / 5 stars February 23, 2012

Very lacking in variation.

Though your wobbles are all right and your samples are good, there is very little variation in this, and considering it's also only 1.15 long, that's a pretty big problem.

The intro isn't too bad, it's a bit dull and doesn't really build up very well. With dubstep it's nice to have a bit longer intro with a stronger build-up before the drop. Also, some more variation in the wubs is always nice. Make it a bit longer, as right now it's just about 15 seconds of intro, then instantly into wubs with no real drop.

Waidmann responds:

Thanks for your review.
I understand all that what you've said...but then again the track was made in about...pfft..ionno about an hour?...(i was half asleep too =_=)

but yeah i value your input man...thanks.

Sanctuary Sanctuary

Rated 5 / 5 stars February 23, 2012

Dammit Steph, your music is too damn good!

D'aww thanks :3.

&amp;lt;EagleGuard&amp;gt; Nemesis <EagleGuard> Nemesis

Rated 4 / 5 stars February 23, 2012

Not a bad track at all, I could see this fitting very well with a japanese style fighting game during a boss battle. There are some minor things though.

The intro is amazing, I was honestly expecting some grande orchestral piece when I heard it. Really nice build-up to where the guitar comes in. The guitar melody is nice, and the samples you've used are pretty good, there's not much I can say on that. My biggest issue with this track is lack of variation. It doesn't feel like it changes very much, largely due to the extremely generic drums. The samples aren't the best, and there's a strong lack of variation.

EagleGuard responds:

Haha, that's the first time I'm being accused of a 'lack of variation' =p That said, I do understand your point, and I guess some more variation would be in place. To be honest, I don't really know how I could've done that effectively though... Maybe adding another part would solve the problem, but that might make the song itself too long... I'll keep it in mind though for my next piece, and I'll make sure the drums are less boring =)

The samples are actually of fairly high-quality, but I'm usually just too lazy to use them in a way that would maximize their capabilities. I'll try to make the next song more 'human' though ;)

Thanks for the review!

ECHO - Eye of the Dragon ECHO - Eye of the Dragon

Rated 5 / 5 stars February 22, 2012

I just wrote that Apocalypse was my favorite, now I'm a bit torn. This is just really really impressive. It's an entire world in itself, it's so complete, so well done and well thought through, beautifully composed and beautifully orchestrated. Definitely another one for my favorites, and I'm pretty scarce with those these days.

I mean, like I said, this creates an entire world and tells a complete story. The hours of work you put into this really really payed off. The samples are perfect. This is what I'd love to see played live by a big orchestra. I fell the ending could've been a bit better, but I'm not entirely sure. Then again, as is, it would work off very well when passing into another track. That is, if this were for example from a concept album or a movie soundtrack.

Echo responds:

The track is meant to pave the way for another track, since its the Title Track of the album I'm working on so the ending was meant to create that feeling of unfinished business, if you get what I mean.

Thank you for the compliments and for the review :)

Erik Scerri
- Echo Productions

J@K's Guitar Covers #1 J@K's Guitar Covers #1

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars February 22, 2012

Wow, that's really impressive. I used to love Hendrix, and I still listen to him from time to time, and this, I feel, is doing justice to the original. Your own additions, I quite liked. I do wish there was some sort of backing base and percussions added to it, not necessarily adding vocals, but it would give more depth to it, especially during the solo.

gamejunkie responds:

Thanks SB. Glad you liked it. Once again a much appreciated review.

Cheers gamejunkie.